Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Blog #1

As I read the book Into the Wild I came across some evidence answering the questions from the psychological critical approach.  Chris’s emotions and behaviors tell a lot about his psychological state and personality. “ He wasn't carrying anywhere near as much food and gear as you'd expect a guy to be carrying for that kind of trip" (Gallien, Krakauer, p. 4). Chris “Alex” McCandless did not take enough food to last him through his journey. He had to go through a lot of hardships such as the weather. McCandless didn’t even realize what he was facing. People began to think that he was stupid, unintelligent and ignorant. But they were wrong. Chris is a well-educated experienced traveler. It showed that Chris has a great desire to succeed.

Chris kept in touch with people who helped him along his journey. "Sometimes I wish I hadn't met you though. Tramping is too easy with all this money. My days were more exciting when I was penniless and had to forge around for my next meal" (Alexander, Krakauer, p. 33). Chris always wanted something more than what society presented to him. He always needed a challenge and change in his life. He hated having things planned out.

Most people thought that Chris was psychologically different. "Alex wasn't a total space cadet or anything doesn’t get me wrong. But there were gaps in his thinking. I remember once I went over to the house, walked into the kitchen, and noticed a god-awful stink. I mean it smelled nasty in there. I opened the microwave, and the bottom of it was filled with rancid grease. Alex had been using it to cook chicken, and it never occurred to him that the grease had to drain somewhere" (Westerberg, Krakauer, p. 63). In this passage it seems like Chris sees things from a different point of view or critical approach. I think Alex didn’t realize what he was getting himself into and what consequences he was going to have to face.

No comments:

Post a Comment